Late on Wednesday evening, Doncaster racecourse was cleared of being responsible for a spike in Covid cases in South Wales.
The British Horseracing Authority had been contacted that a coach party was thought to have visited the pilot crowd event last week and was then subsequently linked to a cluster of cases.
In a statement on Twitter, the BHA said: “The British Horseracing Authority has been told by Public Health Wales (PHW) tonight that a coach party from South Wales – now part of a Covid lockdown area in the Rhondda Cynon Taff – did not visit Doncaster racecourse as reported.
“The BHA had been seeking further information about the case on behalf of Doncaster racecourse, which had not been contacted by public health officials as part of a Test & Trace process and had no knowledge of the supposed visit.
“PHW confirmed that no contact had been made with Doncaster racecourse because the group had not attended the pilot event last Wednesday September 9, the first day of the St Leger Festival.
“PHW expect a formal clarification will be provided by the Welsh government as soon as possible. The BHA has passed on the information to ARC, which runs Doncaster racecourse.”